Thursday, September 07, 2006

Rollin’ Back the Years


So yeah. I was on the front page of the business section of The Dallas Morning News yesterday. The accompanying photo, as you see here, was taken the day after The Great Hair Reduction of 2006. Good timing. But, more importantly, the article has basically made me the poster boy for Gen Y.

That’s right, people. The Dallas Morning News thinks that a soon-to-be 34-year-old pasty man with lanky overtones is the perfect portraiture of a generation made up of people aged 3 to 29, according to Wikipedia. Good call, guys. Well played.

Granted, the entire article, or a least the parts related to me, is awash in half-truths and misreporting. It’s about how businesses are tooling their spaces to be more Gen Y-friendly. Whatever. We work at an ad agency. Our space was designed by Baby Boomers and Gen Xers to be, that’s right, a cool ad agency. Not as a sop to junior folks fresh off the graduation boat.

Anyway, the main quote, “My room – oh, I mean, office,” was just a slip of the tongue by one of my junior writers. The reporter then spun that into making our entire office seem like one big home away from home. She called our concept room a den. It’s not. How many dens do you know of that are T-shaped and have a giant dry erase board taking up one wall? (The space, by the way, is called The Furnace.) And we don’t have a living room. We have a kitchen/lounge area where we get coffee and sometimes eat lunch. Craziness. Madness. Insanity.

Oh, and they misspelled my partner’s name. It’s James Helms. Not Helm. Idiots. And they only show his feet. Although they are, as the ladies will tell you, his fourth best feature.

Whatever. I have poster boy duties to which I must attend. At least until the masses turn their attention from me to Paris Hilton’s DUI. Which should happen just. About. Now.

Later,

Fox

No comments: