Friday, September 01, 2006

It MUST Be the Advertising

So, JCPenney – headquartered a few miles away from whence I write this – has dumped DDB in favor Saatchi (does the second Saatchi get peeved that we always leave him off?). Great. More power to Saatchi for landing a $430 million account. Will they do better advertising for this once-great department store? You got me. But I do that the reason I generally avoid Penney’s is, well, they blow. Their store layouts are cramped with merchandise racks spilling out into the aisles. Their product mix is lacking. And a fair chunk of their salespeople seem like folks who were rejected by Nordstrom and then rejected by Dillard’s. And maybe even Big Lots.

Yet their sales have been strong the past couple of years. Go figure. And feel free to ride that train as long as you can, Saatchi. I look forward to your Fall Linen Clearance Sale spots.

Later,

Fox

2 comments:

David Wen said...

I actually interned at DDB Chicago on the JCP account. They have four classes of stores. A, B, C, and D. And every mall has a differnt class of store. I.e. the NE Mall in Hurst, TX has an A while a store in IL has a B or C.

Go figure.

David Wen said...

*different