Monday, November 06, 2006

Get Out and Vote. Then Shut Up.

Tomorrow is Mid-Term Election Day of Unimaginable Importance all across this wonderful land of ours. I think I speak for everyone when I say, “THANK GOD IT’S OVER.”

Now, I’m fairly politically aware. I even swing to the side of the aisle not usually occupied by my creative brethren. (A fact shocking to no one who reads this blog.) I hate looking at a ballot and realizing that I don’t know who this judge in District 3 is or if he’s a complete schmoe. But the problem with elections isn’t the dangling chads, electronic ballots that run on Windows 98 or that fact that registering to vote automatically throws you into the jury pool.

It’s the advertising. (Duh, like that wasn’t obvious.)

If you need me to explain why political advertising is hideous or need me to cite examples of such advertising, well, too bad. Turn on the TV or your radio and give it ten minutes.

Tomorrow, I celebrate. For then the political ads will vanish and I shall once again be confronted with the eternal question of: Who approved the tagline “Have a happy period”? ’Cause that ain’t right.

Later,

Fox

No comments: